Re: [TR] TR3A Tranny Removal

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Tranny Removal
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:56:04 EDT
In a message dated 7/26/2006 6:38:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
terryrs@adelphia.net writes:

Had a  couple of comments wondering if the adjustment was out.  I did look at

the slave and pedal adjustments.  Most telling, when I connected the  slave
rod, the transmission throw lever was "at rest," meaning the clutch  should
have been tight to the flywheel, so that any pedal return after  depression
should return that clutch throw lever to that beginning  position.

Good question, though, everyone.   Thanks.

Terry

Terry,
I have removed and replaced the tranny in my 59 TR several times since I
bought the car in 1963 (for $400!).

A few years ago, I replaced the clutch. When I got the car off the stands I
was surprised to find I could not disengage the clutch fully. I'll not bore
you  with explaining how I inned and outed it several times that week.
The ultimate reason was discovered to be a warped clutch disc. I had warped
it by letting the tranny hang momentarily by the input shaft.
I bought a new clutch disc and a tranny jack from Harbor Freight ($45). I
also bought and assortment of bolts the correct thread size, but extra long. I
cut the heads off and slutted the ends (with a hacksaw) for a screwdriver
slot.  Using the jack to support the tranny, I lined up the "studs" I had in
the
engine. Once aligned, I was able to use extra long bolts in several locations
and ease the tranny into position.
I am of course now convinced that many dragging clutches are actually  warped
discs. Does anyone know where we can buy trhe correct 1 inch bore slave
cylinders?
Best, Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org