re: [TR] TR3A Tranny Removal

To: terryrs@adelphia.net
Subject: re: [TR] TR3A Tranny Removal
From: amcewen2@cogeco.ca
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:39:37 -0400
> It is true, right, that I can:
>
> 1)  remove the transmission tunnel.
> 2)  disconnect the driveline
> 3)  disconnect the speedometer cable
> 4)  unbolt the bell housing
> 5)  unbolt the tranny crossmember
> 6)  pull back and drop down the tranny from below,without removing the engine
> and all that that entails?

I don't think you can drop it downward because of the X in the frame, however
it comes out easily from the top (remove
your carpet just to protect it).  I've got the job down to 45 minutes now but
hope to never have to do it again.  ;)

The first 2 times I left the tranny cross member in place on the frame side
(just unbolted it from the tranny) but last
time I found it much easier to remove it entirely (the mount rubber was roached
anyway).

You'll likely need to tilt the back of the engine upwards (block of wood to
protect oil pan) in order to break the bell
housing away and to get the angle write (I had to jack it nearly to the top of
the tranny cut out in the firewall).

You'll also have to take the rubber mud guard off the handbrake but the lever
can stay where it is.

And you'll need a jack to support the weight of the gb while your fiddling with
it.  1 person can lift it out but it's a
B*%^ch to get positioned right to get it back in (becuase you can't get any
leverage with your upper body under the
dash).

===     http://www.vtr.org