[TR] FW: Early TR4 - Front Brakes

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] FW: Early TR4 - Front Brakes
From: lbc.resto@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:51:22 +0000
I now have one of the front brake calipers apart. I know that you're not
supposed to split them, but that is the only way that the pistons were going to
come out after decades of nil use. Also, I am not going to trust the condition
of the 44 year old seal between the 2 halves; Moss shows that they have them in
stock. The 2 pistons have badly rusted where they were exposed, but all the
"hidden" areas look to be in good condition.

So to today's questions:

1 - Has anyone split a caliper and succesfully put it back together without
leaks? If so, what torque values should I use?

2 - Both Moss and TRF show replacement pistons. TRF state that they make their
own from Stainless, don't know about Moss. Anyone have any experience with
either of these, or others?

As always, thanks for the assistance.

===     http://www.vtr.org