Re: [TR] What should the new Triumph look like?

To: 70TR6@mindspring.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] What should the new Triumph look like?
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:19:54 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: 70TR6@mindspring.com

If BMW called you and asked what you wanted the car to look like, what
say you?

==AM==
As much a fan as I am of almost anything/everthing with a Triumph
badge, I think I'd prefer a modern new design. Sure, maybe a subtle
suggestion of "heritage" in a grille or badge or ?????, but that would
be about it.

When you look at the postwar output of Triumph, there is perhaps some
continuity in design. On the other hand, the TR4 was a pretty radical
departure from the TR2/3, the TR6 was a pretty clever and dramatic
restyling of that TR4 structure, and the TR7 was, well, whatever you
want to call it but nonetheless another radical departure from what
came before. (Contrast these with the MGB and Midget, where then-BMC
pretty much gave up on significant style changes -- for better or for
worse -- after 1962. ;-) )

To a lesser extent, the "redesign" of the Spitfire and GT6 in 1971 was
a major change from what had come before, although still very
recognizable. And that sort of philosophy is reflected in the Mazda
Miata/MX-5 from 1989 to the present.

But it's not as if BMW is about to dust off any old body or chassis
tools from the BLMC days, right? Go with a "globe" or "open book"
badge, and maybe a subtle upsweep of a rear fender or door line...and
leave it at that.

Now as to the look of the 2007 Triumph Herald.... :-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

===     http://www.vtr.org