RE: [TR] 1975 Spit distributor

To: "Beaudoin, Jonathan" <beaudoin.jonathan@ville.gatineau.qc.ca>,
Subject: RE: [TR] 1975 Spit distributor
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:35:10 -0700
> Just bought myself a new toy and found some strange things about it. Maybe
> some of you will be able to help me. It's a 75 spitfire 1500. The engine
> number is FM23XXX UE SS so I guess it's a Factory rebuilt engine
> from 1974.
> The problem is I can figure out wich cap rotor, ponts... to order. The
> distributor is not the delco like the 73 - 74 US spit and not the
> Electronic
> one from 75. I guess it's a Lucas but the only numbers on it are
> 25D. It also
> has a trim screw for adjusment (I guess).

The 25D almost certainly makes it a Lucas, probably from another model of
car since I don't find any 25D Spitfire applications.  There should also be
a 5 digit number stamped on it (possibly with a letter suffix) ... that
number can be used to look up what engine it was originally for.

The trim screw will be a fine adjustment for ignition timing.  You should be
able to see that it moves the vacuum capsule in and out.  Each hash mark on
the barrel of the vacuum unit indicates 4 degrees change in timing.

All of the 25D units take the same rotor, points & condensor.  TRF part
numbers are LUDBR101, LUDSB101, and LUDCB101.  There are some variations in
the cap, mostly how and where the wires are attached, so you'll need to
describe that.  TRF IMDDB106 should be push-in terminals, top entry.

FWIW, TRF also has the Pertronix electronic ignition conversion for a 25D on
sale at the moment.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org