RE: [TR] Painting TR3A Instrument Panel

To: "Francis P. Gowash" <fpgowash@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Painting TR3A Instrument Panel
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:49:23 -0700
> Some of the wrinkle finish has flaked off of my instrument panel.
> I would like to be able to remove the panel without disconnecting the gages,
> clean it up and repaint.
> Is this possible? Else what is the recommended approach?

If you want it to look at all decent, you'll have to remove the gauges, strip
and repaint.  It's just about impossible to "touch up" wrinkle finish without it
being very obvious that's what you've done.

Once you've removed the panel, I would strongly suggest sending it off to Fred
Thomas for powder coating (in black wrinkle finish, Fred knows the right one).
Fred may even be able to work out an exchange for you (but you'll have to tell
him if you have the early or late panel).  The ONLY shortcoming of the result is
that it makes the rest of the dash look shabby by comparison!

Fred's email is frede.thomas2@verizon.net

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org