[TR] TR4a transmystery

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR4a transmystery
From: "Jim Wallace" <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:03:29 -0400
Keen to install my tranny onto its overdrive, with the goal being to mount
then to the engine and install the works in the car this weekend; I
consulted the ever unreliable Haynes for advice on the rebuild. Thinking I
had done what it told me, I nonetheless concluded the gears-into-box
sequence with the following results:
a) In first, second, and third gears, the input shaft would only turn a few
degrees and then come to a hard stop
b) In fourth gear, the output shaft turns at the same rate as the input
shaft
c) In neutral, the output shaft turns at the same rate as the input shaft
d) The gears on the layshaft appear to be turning freely
e) No gears appear to be stuck
f) In reverse, same result as in a)
g) There was considerable slop somewhere on the mainshaft, but I forget
where ones. Between second and third I think.

(All this was without the overdrive having been installed.)

OK, so then I disassembled all but the front cluster on the mainshaft,
because I seriously don't want to deal with that circlip ever again. Then I
saw where a thrust washer between second gear and its synchro cup seems to
be preventing the two cone-surfaces from making contact - yet it is
definitely shown that way in Haynes....coudl this be right? Isn't the point
of the cone shaped surfaces to make contact?

Now it's 2 am and I can't think anymore. Hopefully tomorrow, well actually
it is already tomorrow, I'll be able to spot something obvious, say aha! and
all will be well. But in the likely event that that won't happen, if anyone
could give some words of advice, or even encouragement, I could use them, as
I still REALLY want to get the engine in the car this weekend (with the
tranny hangin off it).

Anyone btdt? Grrrr.
Signed,
Confused near Ottawa