RE: [TR] TR4 high beam switch

To: "'Triumph Email List'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 high beam switch
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:24:16 -0700
> I need to know how to connect the dipper switch.
>
> On the back of the switch are 3 terminals:
> one with a number "1",
> another with a "F" (in the center)
> and the last with a number "2"
>
> The wires are Blue/White
> Blue/Red and
> Blue

Bob, I've seen too many cases where the switch markings are misleading,
missing or wrong (although not specifically on a TR4 dipper switch).  So, I
always like to "buzz" out the switch contacts.  This also helps ensure the
switch is good, before I install it and have to wonder what I've done wrong.

Using an ohmmeter, or self-powered test lamp (either one is available from
Horrible Freight for just a few dollars), put the switch into the "low beam"
position (which I believe is "stalk up") and look for the pair of terminals
with continuity.  Make a mental note of the third terminal.  Now flip the
switch to the "main beam" position, and test again.

The terminal that had continuity both times gets the Blue wire (which comes
from the main headlight switch).  (I think it's likely this is the 'F'
terminal, but like I say, it's better to test.)

The terminal that had continuity only in the "low beam" position gets the
Blue/Red wire (which goes to the low beam filaments in the headlights).

The remaining terminal (with continuity only in the "main beam" position)
gets the blue/white wire, which goes to the indicator in the speedo, and the
main beam filaments in the headlights.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org