Re: [TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems
From: David Brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:50:25 -0400
Randall,

OK, if I take a torque wrench and place the socket
directly over a nut and apply 10 ft-lb of torque, then
the nut is torqued to 10 ft-lb. Moreover, if I put a 2 inch
90 deg right angle extension on the torque wrench and I
connect the socket to the end of the right angle extension, I
am still applying 10 ft-lb of torque to the bolt. Because the
right angle extension is parallel to the applied force, it
doesn't alter the final torque on the bolt. The important quantity
is the length of the moment are from the nut to the perpendicular
(normal) force (not the diagonal); i.e, the length of the torque
wrench.

In the case of tube shock conversions, the newly installed
bracket is equivalent to the 2 inch right angle extension mentioned
above.

David Brady
'68 TR250
CD8124L