RE: [TR] Off idle stumble

To: "'John Mitchell'" <jmitch@snet.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Off idle stumble
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:21:25 -0700
> Once I get rolling, everything seems normal.  Ive recently changed
> distributor because of wobble in the old one. Its a newly
> rebuilt lucas
> and the timing appears to be right on including the retard
> unit.

Have you checked the mechanical advance operation as you increase the engine
speed ?

>  When I
> pull the hose off the retard capsule, the engine does
> increase speed by
> about 500 rpm, not sure if that's normal.

Yup, that's just the way it should work.  The vacuum to the capsule should
also get shut off as you open the throttle, the retard is only active at
idle.

>  I also recently
> adjusted the
> temperature compensators per Nelson Riedle's article.  They
> didn't seem
> to be working at all before.  Since this seems to be temperature
> related, should this be the first thing to suspect?

IMO the problem is more likely to be somewhere else, but could be the
compensators.  It gets confusing though, since it's the compensator's job to
lean the mixture when the engine gets warm, but leaner mixtures are more
likely to cause stumbles.  Thus, even if disabling the compensators fixes
the stumble, that doesn't mean they are at fault.

>  Dashpots are filled.

Can you feel the resistance as you install the plunger ?  Or more
importantly, feel the resistance as you lift the pistons ?

>  Any advice would be appreciated.

Although by no means certain, this sounds more like an ignition problem to
me.  Have you checked that everything is in top shape, plugs are new and
properly gapped, plug wires are good, the coil is correct for a late TR6,
etc. ?

The early TR6 took a coil that didn't require a ballast resistor ... if you
use one of these by mistake on a late TR6 that has the ballast built into
the wiring harness, the spark will be weak.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org