Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change

To: jrherrera90@hotmail.com, pethier@comcast.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:17:11 EDT
In a message dated 10/15/2006 4:59:59 PM Central Standard Time,
jrherrera90@hotmail.com writes:
> Anyway, I think that the SB just says to drain oil hot without explaining
> why. I seem to recall that detergent oil is not approved for use in aircraft
>
> engines (see brain-damage disclaimer statement above, however). Mineral oil
> is recommended for the break-in period (except for turbocharged engines,
> which are broken-in with ashless-dispersant oil) and ashless-dispersant oil
> thereafter. I do remember that several multi-grade oils are approved as well
>
> as several single-grade oils, depending on the ambient temperature. Thanks
> for not saying multi-viscosity.

There are many aspects to the operation and design of airplanes that are
"traditional" simply because the results of something going wrong is so much
more
severe.  If your car's engine quits you coast over to the side of the road and
call a towtruck.  It the engine in your plane quits you might be able to
dictate a brief will to your lawyer over the cell phone but that's about it.
And
the FAA has no sense of humor.

When I was in college I remember being told that when starting a plane in
cold weather it is required to pull the plane in the hanger and warm up the oil
since they use single grade oils.  I suspected that this was still the case.

Cheers

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org