Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change

To: twakeman@razzolink.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:25:55 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/2006 8:17:50 AM Central Standard Time,
twakeman@razzolink.com writes:
> Alex Manzo wrote:
> >If all is set correctly, would the idiot light on the dash (low/dim
> >lighting if lit during running) indicate the system not up to peak
> >performance?
>
> One might surmise that the reason it is called an idiot light is that
> only idiots would rely upon it.
>
> But of course that is an extreme stance to take and I have never been
> accused of taking an extreme stance on anything ;)

That is an extreme stance.  It would be more accurate to say that they are
called idiot lights because idiots CAN understand then when they have no clue
what a gauge would be telling them.

But nonetheless, the ignition warning light is so much more than an idiot
light, if you know how to read it.  Idiot lights are ON/OFF devices that signal
that something is either fine or needs attention.  The ignition light tells you
different things based on whether it is on bright, or dim and under what
conditions it is illuminating.  If it is on all the time but dim it means one
thing.  If it only comes on at idle it means something else.

Reading the ignition light properly takes more diagnostic skill than does
reading a gauge.

Dave

P.S. The above does not apply to the new generation of alternators where the
ignition light is switched on by a transistor in the regulator.

===     http://www.vtr.org