RE: [TR] Air Compressor questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Air Compressor questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:10:11 -0700
> Also, after investigating the airflow ratings on several different
> compressors, I've noticed that, between manufacturers, there doesn't seem to
> be any industry standard pressure at which cfm ratings are measured.  This
> complicates the process of "scientifically" comparing units,

What is most important is how many cfm at the minimum working pressure for your
tool.  Boyle's law will give you (roughly) the ratio between air compressor
"cfm" and tool "cfm"; so from that you can figure what size compressor you need
to run your tool continuously.

After you do that exercise and get sticker shock from the compressor (and
wiring) required, then you can start thinking about how long do you really need
to run your blast cabinet <G>

> and it makes me
> just want to ask the list: "what really works and what doesn't"?

Frankly, after looking the situation over for a long time, I'm tempted to build
my own gas-powered air compressor.  Electric ones are just too danged expensive
for anything big enough to run a blast cabinet for any reasonable length of
time.

Anyone know of a source for those kits to turn a VW Beetle motor into a
self-powered air compressor ?  ISTR it was basically a special head for one
side, so that two cylinders ran as a motor, and the other two ran as a
single-stage, two-cylinder compressor.

Hmmm ... what about a Stag V8 running on just the left bank with a TR7 intake
manifold ?

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org