Re: [TR] Air Compressor questions

To: "Steve Ball" <banjonut@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Air Compressor questions
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:07:15 -0400
On Wednesday 25 October 2006 07:55 am, Steve Ball wrote:
> Listers,
> This has no doubt been discussed here before, but I need to ask for
> opinions before I buy an air compressor.  I've discovered that the airflow
> from my Sears air compressor (30 gallon, roll-around, 3 HP, single piston)
> is woefully inadequate for running things like my blasting cabinet, and it
> even poops out after running a DA sander for a fairly short time.  At this
> rate it will take the rest of the century to get anywhere with the TR3A
> project.
>
> The problem is I'm having "sticker-shock" looking at prices of larger
> compressors.  Before I sink a bunch of money into the wrong unit, I thought
> it might be wise to find out what everyone else is doing.  What type of
> compressors are you folks using?  Has anyone used the 60-80 gallon, dual
> piston type units from Harbor Freight?  It looks like most of the suitable
> compressors are going to run at least $700 (and up....way up), which is a
> sizeable investment for my garage operation, so I want to think this one
> through before opening my wallet.
>
> Also, after investigating the airflow ratings on several different
> compressors, I've noticed that, between manufacturers, there doesn't seem
> to be any industry standard pressure at which cfm ratings are measured.
> This complicates the process of "scientifically" comparing units, and it
> makes me just want to ask the list: "what really works and what doesn't"?
>
> I get the digest form of the list, so I would appreciate if you also copy
> me at my home email address if you have thoughts:  banjonut@verizon.net
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve Ball
> Lompoc Ca
> 60 TR3A  TS68164L

Steve,

Before I started my current project (63 TR4) I first searched the web to see
what was there and cost etc. I also looked at ebay to see what compressors
were going for.

I decided that getting a good compressor via mail order would cost too much
for the freight etc and decided to go as local as I could.

Soon after, my local Lowes started to carry a Kobalt brand compressor. There
was little research available on the web but they said it was made in the
USA. So I took a chance and got the 7HP 135 lb/sq in model. It is a 220v
single stage setup 60 gal upright. Well, now going on 2 years into the
project and the compressor is working out just fine. Powers air sanders fine,
my blaster cabinet, outdoor blaster, painting, drills etc. Plenty of air
flow. The only down side it is a bit loud. I have to wear ear plugs if I plan
to do a large job.

I already had 220 in the garage so I had my brother in law wire the compressor
using a separate 30 amp breaker box just for the compressor. I turn the
compressor on and off using the breaker. My brother in law said it is cheaper
to replace a breaker than the complex compressor switch.

My research shows that most high volume compressors run on 220. Cant get the
HP from 110 I guess.

My 2 cents.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org