RE: [TR] Theft protection

To: "list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Theft protection
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:29:38 -0700
>  Several of our town's police cars have 4 closely-spaced antennae
> which, I think, detect properly equipped but stolen cars, right?
> Maybe it's not a LoJack, but, a police car's sensor alarm went off as
> he was cruising a neighborhood this week in my area.

Sounds like Lo-Jack to me.  Basically it's a hidden transmitter module in the
protected car.  When the car is stolen, the owner notifies the Lo-Jack people,
who in turn activate the transmitter.  Once activated, the transmitter screams
"I'm stolen" to any police car equipped with the correct receiver and in-range
(which isn't very far).

> I maybe confusing different
> alarms- Is the LoJack that steering wheel clamp thing?

Nope, that's something different.  Lo-Jack is a "stealth" technology, it's
really only effective if the thief doesn't realize it's there.  The steering
wheel thing acts more as a visual deterrent ... I understand the real car
thieves aren't particularly bothered by them.  There was a television special a
few years ago where they went into a "chop shop", there was a pile of steering
wheels in the corner with "The Club" still attached ...

> Do I remember a message about a new type car alarm that automatically
> deflates the tires?  Does that really work?

I don't recall seeing anything about that on the list.  Doesn't sound like a
particularly good idea to me, though.  What if you get a "wrong number" and your
tires go flat while driving down the highway ?

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org