Re: [TR] Overdrive leak.

To: david.brister@wanadoo.fr, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Overdrive leak.
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:49:10 EST
In a message dated 11/4/2006 9:32:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
david.brister@wanadoo.fr writes:

Thanks  again to the kind souls who have replied to my listing.
About ten years and  maybe 15000 miles ago I was driving   through France and
the  overdrive ceased to work. Found the gearbox oil low so topped it up and
o/d worked again. Took the car to a little French village garage where the
mechanic fixed the leak (from the same place as it is now) in 4 hours and
that included his lunch. And mine.
I'd love to know what he did. I  can't think it could have been anything in
the time except undoing the  clamp for the lever and the nuts and set screws,
letting the spring push  the cover away and putting sealant on  it.
Could that have been  done?

David Brister
1967 TR4A slowly dribbling Hypoy  80/90

Dave,
As I mentioned, I tried that kind of fix many times until hermn van den
Akker, of 5 speed conversion fame, made a spacer, machined the correct
thickness
to fit beneath the lever and press against the o-ring. That stopped MY leaks.
Herman said it was real common.

Best, Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org