[TR] Axle oil seal - good progress - more questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Axle oil seal - good progress - more questions
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:35:20 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hi Folks,

Well, thanks to the list response and heartened by a Thanksgiving glass of
Pinot Noir, I have the axle out of the car.  Not difficult if you remove them 6
bolts first.  Ha!

Anyways, not quite finished yet:

1.  The oil seal to be replaced is still in place:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/Oldsealinplace.jpg

How to remove it - should I just lever it out with an oil seal remover tool or
is there a better way.

2.  I'm assuming the new one is gently tapped in with a socket with the spring
side goes in first and I'm left looking at the lettering side:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/Sealspringside.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/Sealletteringside.jpg

3.  I have the axle assembly lying on the garage floor - I can separate the
bearing housing from the hub to give a gap of 1/8".  Is this normal?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/Gap1.jpg

4.  Those six bolts were held in place with tab washers but they were quite
loose - could that cause the oil leak.

Many thanks for any input - wow, I may be finished by Monday!

Regards,  Adrian TS 58324

===     http://www.vtr.org