[TR] IMPORTANCE CATEGORIES

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] IMPORTANCE CATEGORIES
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:00:41 -0500
List,

One of the big sins I committed in the rebirth of my TR3 falls into the TR
lifter category.  Had I been into asking even more questions of the list than
I do, then perhaps I could have omitted this mistake.  Thus, my real
motivation for not pontificating it was to give folks a break. R U Happy?
        Somehow I didn't number my lifters when i took them out.  Even my
excellant
machine shop said, "Naa, it doesn't matter."
 For the same reasons, I also didn't number my pushrods when I took them out.
My shop said, "it don't matter"

  However, when the list said 'hardness test you lifters' I did do that.  I
was a newbie, i tried to follow what I'd heard.  Perhaps we could all agree on
a method of 'weighing out/ranking whats important to do in a rebuild.  Fat
chance??
        When I told my machinist that, "The lifters need to be Rockwell
Hardness 56
or better he laughed."  I said, "give 'em here, I'm gonna send them off to
Minnesota for testing...THEY have a ROCKWELL MACHINE!!", he said 'fine'.
Unknown to me, I proably was the brunt of one of their jokes!!
        One of the lifters failed the test, so I made another foo pah by
ordering
just one from Moss to replace it.  No need to test it I thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just tossing in this experience wondering if we could agree to put advice
into one of three categories:
        Very important, somewhat important or not important or optional.
        Or maybe qualify that as, "very important for racers", etc.
        Maybe A,B,C or somethin

        BTW, I still don't know what ramifacations out-of-order pushrods, or
having
only one new (perhaps soft) lifter.  It might just mean that one-less-spot of
oil hits the driveway, and, a smellier exhaust one day!  I'm hoping it will
still run!!

Thanks, Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org