Re: [TR] TR3: Body mounting nuts stripped!

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3: Body mounting nuts stripped!
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:14:03 -0500
On Friday 12 January 2007 08:34 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> A couple of months ago, as I was about to begin some of the bodywork I
> tightened my TR3's body/mounting pads/chassis.  Since that time I set the
> correct door gaps including the  upper curve door gap to the scuttle.
>   Today I noticed the driver's side two mounting pad(s) that mount the body
> to the front of the chassis were now loose.  These two locations are both
> on the same 45 that run up to the shock tower..Very Important!
>  I prayed that tightening them down would not alter my door gaps, A post,
> etc. To my surprise, neither one of these bolts would tighten...I must have
> stripped them someway, somehow!
>  Unfortunatly, I proably will have to drill all the way through this strut
> (squarish tube) bolt holes and simply use a longer bolt that now will
> show. (Preivously, the nuts had been hidden)
>   Is there anything wrong with doing this?
>
>   Thanks, Paul Dorsey
>   60 TR3

Paul,

If I remember correctly that is a 3/8 - 24 bolt. Are you sure you are using
the correct bolt?

If you did strip it, you may be able to use a tap and re-thread the nut. If
not I see no reason, other than a visable nut under the strut. You will be
the only one who knows the nut is there.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org