[TR] TR3/4 Tranny What did this?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3/4 Tranny What did this?
From: "Ed Oot" <eoot@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:33:14 -0500
I was crawling around underneath the 3 today and discovered a potential
problem. About 4 1/2 inches back from front of the bell housing and 1 1/4
inches from center  on the right side there is evidence (cracked bulge) that
something hit the inside of the case with force. A little back ground, the PO
had replaced the trans with a rebuilt TR4. Not long ago. I have put a bit more
than 2000 miles on the car since acquiring last April. I have experienced
absolutely no problems with either the clutch or tranny. It sure seems to me
that anything that would crack and bulge out the case (the area is about 1 1/2
inches long and 3/4 in wide) would produce some noticeable effect. For all I
know, the problem could have been there right along. Can someone shed some
light on what could have caused this and how much of a problem I might have?
If a pic would help I can take one and send.

Thanks
Ed

===     http://www.vtr.org