[TR] Radio bracket TR4 - DIN Mount

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Radio bracket TR4 - DIN Mount
From: "Chris Simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:19:45 -0500
The TR4 got a new radio for christmas.

I couldn't bring myself to cut up the existing bracket - so I found
the drawing of the bracket (via this list!!!) and drew the appropriate
DIN hole on it.

Turns out when I draw the DIN hole - there is very little meat left on
either side of the bracket. I drove the car - once - without the
bracket in place and could see the dash moving right to left as I
executed turns - this bracket is there for a reason.

So I go out to the car and see there is no issue in widening the whole
thing about 7/8 inch.  Great.  Now I have about 1/2 of meat on each
side of the hole.

I work for a large company and we have a huge sheetmetal shop - so I
figured I could get one made up.....(along with the skid plate I'm not
quite finished refining)

Now for the forming.  There is so little metal left at the horizontal
bends that my engineer tells me I should make it out of .075 thick
metal vs the .125 specified in the dwgs I've seen.  He wants my
bracket so he can draw flat drawings of the part and it looks good.
He does not believe there will be any issue with the reduced thickness
(I think he is thinking radio support vs center vehicle crossmember).

I could form the whole thing with 1/8 and cut the DIN hole out later -
but laser cutting while flat is so nice..... hmm - I have been wanting
to get my plasma torch out of mothballs.....

Anyone got any opinions on the reduced thickness?

Anyone got an alternate method of mounting a DIN mount radio in their TR4?

Anyone want a wide bracket?  I can probably get 10 made nearly as easy
as one.....

Thanks as always!!!

Chris

===     http://www.vtr.org