[TR] horrendous grinding noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] horrendous grinding noise
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:24:37 EST
Could you please help us listers?

I'm helping a fellow club member put his 1959 TR3A together. The engine was
rebuilt by a local shop, but I rebuilt the tranny and HS-6's for him.

When we got the car, the seams and interior had been painted; the
transmission was bolted up and the bare motor was resting on the mounts.

We finish assembled the motor, strung a new harness, installed all the  fluid
lines, installed the dashboard, switches and instruments. After it came  back
from finish paint, we filled the fluids and gave it a spin.

The engine turned over but there was a horrible grinding noise coming  from
what sounded like the engine. We removed the generator (just in case) and
loosened the starter....no help. After removing the starter we noticed
aluminum
chips in the bottom.

We don't know enough of the history of this car but I know that  (2) types of
starters were made for TR-3's. Has anyone experienced this? We  got the car
running, but I fear that we may have to remove the  tranny.

Could you help us??????

Bob Stahlbush, British Motorcars of NE

===     http://www.vtr.org