[TR] (no subject)

Subject: [TR] (no subject)
From: "Bob Streepy" <trstreep@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 07:31:26 -0500
Greetings list-
        Perhaps someone can be so kind as to shed some light on a most vexing
issue
we have encountered in trying to get our TR3 [not the nicest, just the most
expensive] back on the road. we took it off the road after the 2005 VTR in
Rockford to install an overdrive transmission and in the process, decided to
put in the "new and improved" rear main seal. From there, we did [actually,
the proper term should be "had done"] some body work and painting of the
engine bay etc while the motor was out of the frame. Last April, we fired it
up for the first time. In doing so, we had considerable difficulty getting
fuel to the float bowls. The fuel pump had been rebuilt and worked fine on
the bench, but for whatever reason, it would not mate properly to the face
of the block. We removed it, rotated the cam to make sure that the operating
arm was in the correct position and eventually, after several times taking
it on and off, got it to work and the car ran fine.
        After some more body work on the front clip, etc, we attempted to
restart
it this week to take it for a test drive now that the electrical accessories
were all functioning, and again, no fuel in the floats even after operating
the priming lever. [There WAS gas in the tank.]  We made sure that the jets
were free and that float bowls were full. It would start with etherbut die
from lack of gas from the pump. Off came the pump again. we the replaced it
with another rebuilt identical AC pump, but it would not go in. We put on an
aftermarket [no priming lever] pump but it would not go into the block
either. I tried one from a parts motor I had and it wouldn't go on. I put
the first one back on and it fit, but it wouldn't pump and the priming lever
would not move. We took the diaphragm out of the pump to make sure that it
was connected to the operating arms that rides on the cam. It pumped fine on
the bench, but would not pump fuel to the carbs.
        If anybody has had a similar difficulty, please enlighten me as to what
I'm
doing wrong. [The hell of it is, the car, including the fuel pump, worked
fine before I took it apart.]

Bob Streepy

TS 78649L [O!] Casper Midwest - not the world's nicest white TR3, just the
most expensive.
CC 58409 Lucille - the Wonder Car [as in "I wonder if anybody would give 20
cents on the dollar for what I've got tied up in this thing"]

PS - The electric fuel pump should be here on Monday.