Re: [TR] Exhaust Pipe Color

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Exhaust Pipe Color
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:51:50 -0700
> Another dummy question:  What color looking into the exhaust
> pipe is appropriate?  ...I had thought tan.  Black means too
> rich, right?

That used to be true, but I don't believe it is any more.  Now I believe the
black only tells you it was too rich at some point (like you didn't push the
choke in quickly enough last year); without saying anything about whether it
is too rich now.

The difference is the lead no longer in the fuel; lead oxide is very white
(which is why it used to be used in paint).

Randall