Re: [TR] nuts, bolts and lock washers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] nuts, bolts and lock washers
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:28:41 -0700 (PDT)
> The exception is the driveshaft flange bolts, where
> I've had trouble with even new Nylocs backing off.

I ran into this a lot where the exhaust passes nearby - more on
the stub axle flanges in the rear of the 4A and GT6 than at
the gearbox output or diff input.

The bolts in all these applications are "special" - they have an
unusual part number (not the typical HB series). My cars had
a mix of fasteners, so I replaced them all. The "special" bolts
look like normal grade 5, anyway, and the grip lengths aren't
quite right - part of the threaded portion bears on the flange.

There's a "high temperature" nyloc nut in the AN series (AN365), and
I used these, along with AN6 bolts of the correct grip length and a
suitable AN960 washer.

I haven't any of these nuts back off in several years of use; before,
I had to tighten them at every oil change (or sooner).

Best,
chris