Re: [TR] TR4 rebuild/new brake lines?

To: Lee&John Howard <leejohn7@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 rebuild/new brake lines?
From: "Glenn A. Merrell" <stagbytriumph@tscusa.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:14:16 -0600
Lee&John Howard wrote:
> Following the FLAPS brake line thread, I realize that my new TR4 sat for at
> least three years before coming to me. The car was heavily driven in its
> first 40 years - 200M + miles - so/and I am rebuilding all hydraulics. With
> the engine out the front end brake lines are a straight-forward
> replacement, but from there back it looks like a job and a half. Has anyone
> out there done this?
> Also, I would go with Moss's cupro-nickel kit and a bending tool from my
> FLAPS.
> Would appreciate any comments/thoughts/warnings etc.
> TIA
> John Howard

John,
Depending on where you live, "copper" lines are, for the most part,
illegal in most USA States - at least those that have inspections.
Nickel Copper lines, sometimes called "Bundy" copper, although "harder"
than the UK style copper lines, do not meet Federal specification as
"steel" lines.  If the lines are silver colored, you might get away with
it, but if they are copper colored you may have a difficult time if the
inspection garage knows their stuff.
In the USA, we recommend ClassicTube.com.  Lines are prebent steel or as
an adder, stainless steel, which are difficult to seal in properly brass
or bronze materials without a bit of preparation to the flares ends
before torquing down.

If I recall correctly, a full set for a Stag were $179 in steel, $199 in
stainless and were a perfect fit.

TR4A full set price online is $175 in Steel
http://www.classictube.com/prodview.asp?idno=5505&searchtype=&partno=TR1004

So for a lot less hassle, you might consider the proper lines prebent
with the correct angle flares from a professional supplier in the USA.

Cheers!
Glenn Merrell
TSC USA Chairman
S-TTA-G 2009 Charity Rebuild coordinator team
TSN Admin

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net