Re: [TR] Air management valve.

To: tom white <tswhitez123@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Air management valve.
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:05:50 -0600
tom white wrote:
> Hi Randall,
>
> Substitution is not a really practical option since the air management (AMV)
> valve cost $280.00.
The Ford air management valve is nothing more than a combination
diverter/bypass valve for the air pump circuit.  If it's got one vacuum
port and three air ports, it's commonly available as an aftermarket
item, depending on application, for $65-95.

> The engine is a 460 C.I. Ford.  I am still having trouble
> getting it to pass smog.  This has not been a problem since I rebuilt the
> engine twenty years ago and the engine is still in good operating condition.
> One vacuum check had it running at 19 - 20 Lbs. of vacuum.

Umm, if the engine had 20 lbs. of vacuum, it would have imploded.
That's _inches_ of vacuum.
> My question stems from the fact that I replaced the air management valve as
> one of the first repairs I did to the car this year.  However, on my first
> attempt to start the engine after installing the new AMV the engine back fired
> through the carb.  When it did that I saw a puff of fluid come out of the new
> AMG.  I am wondering if I ruined the new AMG on the first attempt.

Unless the valve is unusual for your application it should have just one
vacuum port.  If the valve is working, there will be no noticeable
backfiring on deceleration from speed. Disconnect and plug the vacuum
line to the valve and you should be getting somebackfiring on decel.  As
well, with the vehicle stopped and the engine idling, and the AMV
connected and operating normally,  if you disconnect the air supply tube
leading to the exhaust system from the air pump, you should have air
pump air output at that point.  If you have no output to the exhaust
system, it could be either the AMV or the air pump.  You also need to
check and see if there's a flame trap installed downstream of the
valve.  If there is, that could be defective and preventing air flow to
the exhaust system, which can affect emissions.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net