[TR] Gas tank glop

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Gas tank glop
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:28:37 -0500
Finally finished Jill's MG and now I finally get to work on my "new" TR4.

The PO had "restored" it and then parked it for 25+ years, with a full tank of
gas.  He then pulled it out of storage and spent a couple of days trying to
get it running - on the old gas.  Incredible how bad it smells.

I've removed all of the fuel system, and most of it is straightforward to
clean and rebuild.  However, the gas tank has a thick sediment on the bottom -
not grit, not rust, just (apparently) decomposed unleaded gasoline.

I don't have a reliable radiator shop nearby to "boil" it out, though I can
take it 50 miles to a good guy if necessary.  I won't use "Gas Tank Renu" (if
they're still around) because I don't want a big hole cut in this
otherwise-beautiful, solid tank.

Looks like it might come out fairly easily with the right solvent, and that's
what I plan to try before going to more extreme measures.  I'll get the gas
gauge sending unit out first, of course, make proper plugs for the openings,
and put some brass nuts and bolts into the tank (only if necessary) to help
scrape the sludge off.

My only question is what solvent will be most effective.  In the absence of
any better ideas, I'll start with lacquer thinner, but before I start pouring
expensive solvents into it, anyone seen this glop and know of something that
works better ??

Thanks !
Karl

http://www.vtr.org