[TR] battery summary

To: dorpaul@bellsouth.net
Subject: [TR] battery summary
From: nwolf@u.washington.edu
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:34:00 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:54 AM, <dorpaul@bellsouth.net> wrote:
[...]
>I wonder if batteries that are sealed are maintainence free (even though
>they are not called 'maintainance free' ?
[...]
>Also, recently there was an email saying something about 'vented
>batteries'...What are they?

Hi Paul
   The two main categories of car batteries are Vented and Valve-Regulated.
   "Vented" batteries are the ones you see all the time with caps on top, prone
to occasional leaks and sometimes in need of topping up.
   "Valve-Regulated Lead-Acids" (VRLA's), also known as "Recombinant"
batteries, are supposed to recombine any H and O produced during charging, so
that they don't have to vent under normal operation.  They are also referred to
as "Sealed" batteries (though they have pressure-relief valves), or
"Maintenance Free" (though you still have to keep them charged).  AGM's,
including Optimas and Exide Orbitals, are VRLA's.

-Nick Wolf
'62-ish TR4
Seattle

http://www.vtr.org