[TR] TR6 to the rescue

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6 Pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 to the rescue
From: Joe Merone <jmerone@rocketmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:44:59 -0800 (PST)
Sunday night my wife and I returned home after being away someplace warm for
almost two weeks.  The family car had sat unused in the driveway all that
time.  It lives outside because in the garage Trevor the TR6 has been resting
while waiting to go into storage.

So, Monday morning brings the coldest day
of the year so far here in Vermont, -2 degrees in the morning.  Added to
that was 2 inches of new snow still falling on top of black-ice covered
roads.  The Saab won't start, and it won't take a jump from my battery
charger.  So I fire up the Triumph (no problem there of course) and try to
jump it from that.  No-go.  We need to get going as my wife HAS to be at
work early, and there's no time to wait for AAA.  So what do we end up driving
to work in?  You got it - the TR6.  All that new body work, paint job,
and pampered LBC life be damned.  I actually said "It's time to earn your keep
fella."

Clothed for the office and with briefcases in hand, we both squeeze
into the Triumph and begin our silly looking and frightful commute.  With my
hands firmly gripping the wheel I slowly manuever through morning traffic up
and down hills of ice, snow, and slush.  And yes the salt trucks had been out
- further causing me greif.  It was un-freaking-believable.  I stayed within
my built in bubble of safety, not wanting to get anywhere near anyone.  Ever
notice how bad people drive, and the conditions are, when you're equipment
and/or conditions are compromised?  The stares coming back from other
drivers was a combination of confusion and amusement.  But we made it.
After sitting outside my office all day, Trevor started up just fine for the
drive home.  Good thing I switch to 10W40 for late fall driving.  I then pick
up the wife and stop by Auto Zone for a new battery for the Saab.  When we
finally got home I was outside in the dark (it's now up to 6 degrees)
installing the battery, then hosing down the Triumph as best as I could before
putting it away again.  You should have seen the neighbors staring.  "There's
that crazy car guy out there again."  It's actually supposed to warm up some
tomorrow so I'll be taking it out again for a full bath and rubdown before
going back in the garage and ready for the next rescue.

Joe Merone
South
Burlington, VT
CF18928 5-speed
Presently covered in a little slush and salt

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net