Re: [TR] drill bits

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] drill bits
From: John Young <jeyoung_2@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 04:29:55 -0800 (PST)
--- On Fri, 12/19/08, Nolan <opposumking@verizon.net> wrote:

From: Nolan <opposumking@verizon.net>
Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 5:43 AM

Well, depending on what you're drilling, 4-5 uses before resharpening is
about right.  Most folk don't sharpen their bits enough, spin them too
fast,
run them dry, and press too hard.  All of which promptly wipe out a drill
bit.

Which in my opinion makes for a great excuse to go buy a drill doctor.
While you can certainly resharpen a bit by hand, the drill doctor takes the
art and magic out of it, consistently resharpening with darn good results.

I second that. I bought a drill doctor several years ago. It keeps my drills
working very well.Note that if you are going to sharpen your bits, you take any
coating off the cutting edge so coated bits are not worth the extra cost. I buy
HSS bits as was suggested and usually sharpen them before first use. It is
amazing how much better they cut after that.

John Young

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net