Re: [TR] [Spits] What's the next gearbox move????

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] [Spits] What's the next gearbox move????
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:11:55 -0500
Thanks to all the great help, I now have the gearbox apart!  Well,
mostly apart.  The big gear at the rear won't come off the front of
the mainshaft because it hits some splines which have a larger
diameter.  Obviously it was meant to come off the rear, which means
removing the speedo drive gear and the rear bearing.  I'll consider
that move carefully, will probably have to get a gear puller to
proceed further down that path.  However the rest of the system is
apart.

Now comes the evaluation process, figure out why 2nd was so noisy,
measure various tolerances, etc.  Nothing looks broken, which is what
I was afraid of.

The real challenge will be putting it all back together!

Thanks again, everyone.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com