Re: [TR] Lucas smoke

To: DLylis@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Lucas smoke
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:42:37 +0000 (UTC)
Well, that is certainly odd.B  The cut-out solenoid is cutting in and out?B
It would appear that as soon as the generator is getting any current drain at
all (at the time of cut-in), it is unable to meet the load, and voltage drops,
resulting in a cut-out.B  If you have an analog voltmeter, you might be able
to see the oscillation in the system voltage.B

If you have a new regulator and are sure you connected all the terminals
properly, then I think you need to test the regulator on a known good
generator and see if it works properly in order to eliminate the new regulator
as the culprit.

But, I am concerned that there is more here than meets the eye.B  I just don't
see how you could have smoked your ignition warning light's wire.B  It has to
conduct some serious current for a while to heat up that much.B  And it has
+12V on the switched side, and should have no less than ground,B or no more
than ~14V on the regulator side.B  The warning light should have limited
current enough to prevent smoking, or in a worst case scenario, acted like a
fuse.B  If you fried the warning light wire, then something had to be
seriously wrong.B  Either the generator was putting out MANY MANY too many
volts (possible killing the generator in the process), or you had the warning
light improperly connected (though I don't see how).

The generator CANB self-start without the warning light giving any trickle of
current to the field due to residual magnetism in the field windings, but
maybe it will not fire up in real life.B  Do you have a functioning warning
light now?B  If not, fix that first.B  Then if the system still does not start
regulating, swap the regulator to a known-good system, or vice versa.B  If you
have a new regulator, then it is most likely either incorrect hook-up of the
wires to the regulator or the generator is no good.

-Tony