Re: [TR] [6pack] Karmann declares bankruptcy

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] [6pack] Karmann declares bankruptcy
From: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:45:36 -0500
Jim - you are very correct on the tr250, but if you don't mind allow me to
expand on the tr6.

rumor has it that some of the delay was "translating" the car into SAE
because Karmann did the whole car in metric.

the TR5 PI engine was continued in the tr6 for everywhere except north
america, where we got the carb'd version as in the TR250.  the cam and
horsepower are also different, the PI doing substantially better, supposedly
around 150 hp whereas the carb'd vers was more like 105.

the pollution equipment, the head, the exhaust and manifolds, and then even
the carbs changed over time for the worse as BL didn't know how to work
within the ever more stringent pollution standards except by strangling the
car more and more.  this was also true for the spitfire, mgb, midget, etc.

also there are the issues of ride height and the rubber bumpers, a somewhat
different but related issue.

many tr6 owners feel the 71/72 years are the best due the the dual exhaust,
best head and compression, and previous to most smog "improvements."