Re: [TR] mild cam update

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] mild cam update
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:34:03 -0400
On 13 Aug 2009 at 19:36, P Caffrey wrote:

> But surely, a mild cam can't be that much different from stock
> if the common labels are correct.

I can't speak to that at all, now can I?  But I'm struck by all the
fuss over 2000rpm.  I can't recall now what car Gary N has, a 3 or a
6 or anything in between.  I've owned high-rev'ing, high-geared,
small-engined Fiats which wanted revs to launch, but neither the
Spitfire nor the GT6 are in that category.  With careful clutch
management the GT6 will probably launch from idle with no additional
throttle input at all.  And that may just be a good way to stall it
out too!  But either way, 2000rpm isn't all that much above, oh,
1000rpm, which isn't an unreasonable idle.  Once you get the car
moving you going to want to get it well above 2000rpm anyway.  So the
real question is just how hard you are being on the clutch disk by
requiring so much slippage.  Slowly engaging the clutch at, say,
1500rpm (slowly by necessity perhaps at that rpm) may be worse than a
brisker engagement at 2000rpm.  And the brisker launch is a lot more
fun (as long as it isn't so hard as to wear out or break other
drivetrain components).

Just my $0.015 musing.

--
Jim Muller