[TR] steering box (randall)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] steering box (randall)
From: Gary Nafziger <nafzigerg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:10:41 -0800 (PST)
In comments on wire wheels randall mentioned renewing tr-3 steering box.  I'll
be doing that soon and was curious about whats needed.  What is included on a
common re-build.
During initial viewing and turning through the range of motion (off the car)
nothing seems sloppy or out of shape.  I'm wondering if a good clean up, with
new oil and then adjusting shims will be sufficient, or is there parts that
need replacement as a matter of course.
If Randall is reading this............what did you replace?  I've already found
the steering trunnion (i think thats what its called) to be packed with rust
and crud and that might have been affecting my steering more than the steering
box.
just wondering......

gary n.

Suggested annual donation  $11.47