[TR] TR6 Ignition Switch Questions

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Ignition Switch Questions
From: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@att.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 07:50:41 -0700 (PDT)
     After re-installing the rack and pinion in the 1974 TR6 I was adjusting
where the steering column lines up with the splines at the R&P. I had done this
a couple of times, driven the car around the block and it looked ready to go. I
made one last adjustment and when I went and turned the key - nothing. No
ignition light. Nothing. I found the horn bush on the floor (from sliding the
steering shaft back) and re-installed it. Still nothing.
     Is there something in the steering shaft that could have caused this? It
seemed like I had a steering column lock before, but now it is intermittent.
The steering wheel still appears to be flush against the column as before.
     I get under the dash in the drivers footwell (what a delightful
position...) and put a test light on the switch terminals. I don't see well
really close up so bare with me. With the key off I have power to the brown and
red wire (6) and the brown wire (2). With the key on I get power to the white
wire (3). I never get the wire and red wire (1) to come on.
     Did the switch fry? Why would the R&W wire not get power?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html