Re: [TR] Timing Cover Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Timing Cover Seal
From: Bob <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:21:23 -0500
On Sunday, December 19, 2010 12:49:59 pm John & Pat Donnelly wrote:
> This may be an old question, but I didn't find anything in the archives.
>
> What is the "stuff" on the outside of the timing chain cover? I believe
> it's to reduce noise from the chain. Is there a modern alternative? Is it
> supposed to be painted the same color as the cover?
>
> Johnnie

Johnnie,

Yes it was there for noise reduction. Don't know of any modern alternative.

There was nothing on my recent 72 TR6 restoration and I have only seen it once
on a 3.

The stuff was not on my 63 TR4.

My view is it is not needed. The valve tappets make enough noise for me.

Bob
Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47