Re: [TR] Fwd: [Wedge] Alternator question

To: <acltpvd@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Fwd: [Wedge] Alternator question
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:28:11 -0800
> This was sent to  me but I think it was meant for the list.

Probably for the wedge list, though, since that seems to be where the thread
originated.

> > > I started the car and it reads 16.8 volts at the battery posts.
> > >
> > > What else can cause this?

Many alternators use a 'sense' connection to read the battery voltage.  Some
will shut down if it is disconnected; but some will just keep trying to pull
it up to 14.4.  My guess is that there is a problem with the sense line, so
I would check the voltage on it, right at the alternator.

Another possibility could be your voltmeter.  Took me a long time to figure
out that one of mine reads about 3/4 volt low.  Oddly enough, it is NOT one
of the HF cheapies.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html