Re: [TR] Fwd: [Wedge] Alternator question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Fwd: [Wedge] Alternator question
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:57:17 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 2/9/2012 6:36:33 PM Central Standard Time,
TR3driver@ca.rr.com writes:
> >This was sent to  me but I think it was meant for the list.
>
> Probably for the wedge list, though, since that seems to be where the
> thread
> originated.

> Many alternators use a 'sense' connection to read the battery voltage.
> Some
> will shut down if it is disconnected; but some will just keep trying to
> pull
> it up to 14.4.  My guess is that there is a problem with the sense line,
> so
> I would check the voltage on it, right at the alternator.
>
> Another possibility could be your voltmeter.  Took me a long time to
> figure
> out that one of mine reads about 3/4 volt low.  Oddly enough, it is NOT
> one
> of the HF cheapies.

Oops, sorry.  I didn't mean to digress into flying doorstop topics on this
list.

My Heathkit VTVM had a similar problem.  I found a 70K 1% resistor that
measured 56K.  After replacing it it started working right.  I figured this out
by comparing readings on two different ranges.  One advantage of
non-autoranging meters.

That was 1972.

Still got it.  I should dust it off and see if it still works.

Dave

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive