Re: [TR] backup to jack stands?

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] backup to jack stands?
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:32:54 -0800
> When you see a "6 ton"
> rating, does
> that mean that each stand can safely hold 6 tons (I really
> doubt that!),
> does it mean that each pair can support 6 tons, or does it
> mean that each
> pair can support just one end of a 6 ton vehicle? I have never seen a
> definitive answer.

Check the user's manual for the HF jack stands.  It specifically says
"evenly distributed across two stands".
http://goo.gl/LJaey

Of course, that doesn't prove that other manufacturers use the same system;
but I believe that in general, when they are sold as a pair, the rating is
for the pair.

IMO there is also a pretty big safety factor in the rating, at least for the
stands from HF.  Although I don't propose to find out, I wouldn't be
surprised if my "6 ton" stands would support 12,000 pounds each under
optimum conditions.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html