Re: [TR] headlight relay

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] headlight relay
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:55:18 -0800
> Just wondering how to wire in a headlight
> relay at the same
> time i'm installing the harness.

Lots of different ways to go, depending on your goals (and how much you're
willing to put into them).

After an unpleasant experience with the setup on my old TR3A (a fuse failed,
leaving me with no headlights while descending a mountain at a fairly high
rate of speed on a dark night); I elected to go with 4 separate relays (two
per headlight) and two circuit breakers, one for each side.  The original
harness carries the signals to the relays, so I only had to add wires to the
circuit breakers and a single new wire to each headlight bucket.  And I
chose to hide the relays on the back of the headlight buckets, where they
are invisible but readily accessible (by removing the bucket)
http://goo.gl/2b2DR
http://goo.gl/xhvZR

(Using the relay sockets was a mistake in retrospect, I left them out on the
other side.  Unfortunately I also neglected to take pictures.)

I'm currently using 55/60 watt bulbs (since I'm also still using the
apparently original generator), but the setup should easily handle even the
90/100 watt bulbs I had on the 3A.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html