[TR] TR6 Transmission disassembly

To: *Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Transmission disassembly
From: Jeff <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:06:47 -0500
I have a 1975 TR6, and a case of shipwright's disease...

The symptoms were an inability to keep 90 wt. off the exhaust pipes, and
difficulty in a 1-2 shift when the car was cold.

I removed the interior and driveshaft to replace the rear seal on the
transmission.  At that point, I discovered that the old seal was hard as
a rock, and all the gaskets were sealed with red RTV silicone.  Since
the rear seal was bad, and the front one was likely just as old, and I
was already in for a penny, I went the rest of the way and pulled the
transmission.

Got the top cover off and cleaned up OK.  No chipped teeth, no play in
the shafts that I can see.   The sliding synchro hub seem to have some
play on the shaft or on the inner part; I can't tell yet which it is.
Would that be cause for concern?

I then took the rear extension loose.  It's detached form the
transmission...  At this point, Mr. Bentley says "Withdraw the rear
extension."  Mr. Bentley doesn't mention what to do if the whole
mainshaft wants to come out with the extension.  I feel like that would
be a Bad idea if I were to just yank it all out.

So, before I do something I'll regret:  Is there a clip I've missed,
could it just be that the shaft is tight on the bearing, or have I got a
problem I didn't have yesterday?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **