Re: [TR] Seeking TR2 to TR3 rear axle swap advice

To: Dave1massey@cs.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Seeking TR2 to TR3 rear axle swap advice
From: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:24:38 -0500
Yep - Dave is right.  I just got in from the garage -

 Before and While Dave was writing his response - I extracted the
spare axle from behind two lawnmowers and a dirt bike, I pulled the
seal and hub from the other axle. When I let it go,  it rotated down
on the jack stands and a tapered bearing came out.....

Duh.... so I ran back inside the garage and  pulled the seal from the
insitu axle - the screw and slide hammer is what I resorted to. and I
put the hub back on and sure nuf - it is nice and tight.

So.....  the nut on the pinion was hand tight when I removed it.  I'm
wondering if I should torque it down to specs or since it's old and
unknown wear level - should I tighten to a mid level torque and put a
cotter key in?

Also - there is about 5 degrees of rotation back and forth with the
ebrake on - is that too worn out?

Thanks!!!

Chris

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ccsimonsen@gmail.com