Re: [TR] smoke? coming from valve cover vent on TR3

To: "'Randall'" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] smoke? coming from valve cover vent on TR3
From: "Jeremiah Curry" <jeremiah@curryclan.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:28:16 -0700
Sorry, my bad 1957 TR3

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall [mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:58 PM
To: 'Jeremiah Curry'; triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] smoke? coming from valve cover vent

> My car

What car?  Maybe everyone else knows what Triumph you have; but I haven't.

> My car is blowing a significant amount of smoke out of the
> vent in the oil
> filler cap in the valve cover

Probably caused by combustion gases leaking past the rings.  Some is normal
(the rings never seal perfectly), a lot indicates the rings are worn (or
possibly one or more are broken).  That isn't necessarily a serious problem,
but it does mean the engine will be down on power, burn more fuel and oil,
and likely leak worse to boot.

> but does the choke do more than just holding the gas down a
> little would?

Yes, definitely.  It also increases the amount of fuel mixed with the air.
If your car would start before without it, it was running way rich IMO.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive