[TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update
From: "G.D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:56:53 -0600
All,

I have the final update from my first breakdown some weeks back.

As a reminder, I was on the highway coming up on some slower traffic.
So, I turned off the OD, changed lanes, got back on the gas then BANG.. a loud
noise and no revs.
I got it towed home and began troubleshooting..

Car would start, but ran super weak.  Giving it any throttle would kill it.
Fuel looked good.
Spark looked good.

So, I checked the timing, and sure enough, the dizzy rotor was way to the
right when #1 was TDC.
It is supposed to be "pointing" directly at the #1 plug hole.
So, I have a mechanical issue that is causing the spark timing to be way
behind..

My theories were a) timing chain jumped, or b) dizzy gear jumped..

Turns out both were wrong.

What happened was that the rotor broke, which gives me mixed feelings.
I am happy that it turned out to not be a jumping issue, but angry because the
dizzy is a brand-new Pertronix dizzy I got from Moss, with just 1000 miles on
it, and it seems a bit too early for it to have issues.

Any clue why a rotor would break?  Something tells me to check for vibrations
in the dizzy shaft.
I am going to return to the original point dizzy just for giggles as a
comparison.

Any thoughts??

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins