Re: [TR] LED bulbs

To: "'Tim Gaines'" <mtgaines@presby.edu>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] LED bulbs
From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <aljlthomson@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 13:41:45 -0500
Tim - Check out  http://www.litezupp.com  They have a good description of
the issues. Don't bother with the cheapies. Also, there was a reply about
high intensity  conversions from Jim Sloane months ago.  Here is a copy of
that e-mail.  Sorry for the chopped up appearance.
Alex Thomson

Team,
On the topic of brighter rear bulbs, my brother has done some research on
use of new Krypton bulbs that are a straight screw in replacement for the
originals. His brake lights are damn bright now. His notes are below:

in place of the 1157 use a 3496, in place of the 1156 use a 3497 in the turn
signal.  a brighter 796 is recommended for the backup lights in place of
their 1156.
below is more details if they want to know.

in the brake / running light the old bulb is a 1157.   the bright (brake)
element is 32 candlepower, and 3 candlepower on the low element.  the high
element pulls 26.8 watts and 2.10 amps.

replace it with a 3496 bulb.   same socket, krypton bulb.  originally on
hondas.  bright element is 43 candlepower, low is 3 cp.  high element pulls
27.0 watts and 2.25 amps.

watts and amps so close heat isn't an issue, basically just like the 1157,
but 43cp vs 32cp, much brighter.

for turn signal old bulb is 1156, new one is 3497.    same as above bulb
except only one element, 43 candlepower.

The best bulb for use in backup/reverse lights is a 796. It is a 35W halogen
bulb that produces 62 candlepower The extra wattage is minor, 35w vs 26.8 in
the 1156.   Do NOT use a 50W halogen backup bulb, they produce too much
heat.