Re: [TR] 89mm pistons & liners

To: Allen Hess <allenhess@mgcarclub.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] 89mm pistons & liners
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:51:19 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
On 10/9/2012 3:58 PM, Allen Hess wrote:
Has anyone used the 89mm piston and liner set? (available from Moss and BPNW) It would be for a "street" engine and the improved piston design and made in the UK is what interests me more than the additional 2mm. It's cheaper now than a year or two ago, but still around 2x the standard 87mm set of unknown origin. (anyone know where these are coming from these days?)

Any other opinions on engine parts appreciated.

Allen
TR4
Bethlehem, PA
I bought a set from BPNW 2 years ago. The package had a Union Jack on it. One wrist pin clip was missing, which took forever to be replaced by BPNW. They didn't include ring setting dimensions, and, interestingly, the rings were a mixed set. The compression rings were Deves units, but not the oil ring. The pistons were feather-light and very easy to balance dead nuts. One thing that I ****hated**** about the pistons was the lack of quality control on the compression distance. Since I'm A.R. to a fault, I had to face 3 of them, so they are all now 0.019 below the deck. That's a HUGE loss of cylinder volume. I was NOT happy.

That said, in two years they may have fixed those issues.

hth

jim

--
Jim Hassall