Re: [TR] Explain This Overheating

To: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@att.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Explain This Overheating
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:14:53 +0000
This may be too obvious for words, but JIC:
Are you leaving room in the radiator for water expansion?  If you are filling
completely full, then it will always expel some water until the level falls.  I
find that, even with the extension only half full, it will still sometimes
expel some more right after shutting down.

FWIW, I also had a radiator recored in 1999, with no crank hole and a puller
fan.  Worked great, right up until that car got wrecked in 2005.  But when I
moved that setup to my current TR3 in 2010, I started having problems again.
The radiator shop had pronounced it "fine" twice, but when I finally insisted
that they rod it out, they discovered that all of the tubes had a layer of
"mud" on the inside, which was obviously interfering with heat transfer.  None
of the tubes were totally blocked, and water flow appeared to be sufficient,
but it just wouldn't cool the engine.  Another recore once again definitely
solved the problem.

--- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive