Re: [TR] Post motor rebuild re-torque

To: Angelo Graham <agraham@execulink.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Post motor rebuild re-torque
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 23:24:53 +0000
Yes to both head and manifold nuts.  Not a bad idea to recheck the manifold
nuts even at major tune-up intervals, IMO, as they do sometimes seem to back
off with heat cycling.

> What is the correct re-torquing method - back off the nut and re-tighten
> to spec or just tighten to spec?

For head nuts, definitely back off and retighten to spec.  At those high torque
levels, the threads exhibit "stiction", which means it takes more torque to
start them moving than it took to get there.  But it's less important for the
manifold nuts, IMO.

> Should an oil & filter change be done at the same mileage, or would you
> get higher mileage on the original oil?

I do.  Especially if you've used a special break-in oil, as many suggest.  But
even with regular oil, I feel it's good to get any wear products out ASAP.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive